Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Discussion on Discussions

So if you know me at all, which you probably do it you are on this page, you know that I'm not your typical guy: I like to talk. Odds are that if I'm in a conversation I will control about 3/4's of it - at least with another guy. And so when it comes to the Barn I really like a good discussion. So this past week I think we really discovered the key to a good discussion: ask the students how to we can better discuss things. In essence we had a discussion on discussions, and it was amazing how well it went.

It is incredible how breaking the ice with a simple question like: Why don't you talk so much any more? ... Could be the thing to get students talking like crazy. I sat there and couldn't help but smile. We asked questions about how to ask questions, and practiced out discussions on a article that I read to them that night (which you should read by the way: http://www.relevantmagazine.com/god/deeper-walk/features/24240-what-does-it-mean-to-really-follow-jesus). I was in awe of how God works, and reminded that in life we don't need to have all the answers or even know how to do things right, but we cannot forget to be real and ask questions.

Cause wasn't Jesus personal/genuine in all he did, and didn't he ask questions more than just talking? He understood what it meant to know people, to know himself, and how to engage them instead of just talking to them.

I, for one, am excited to be reminded of this and strive to live more like Christ in all that I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment