Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Champion of the Card Games


If there is one thing I hate about Youth Ministry it is the 'All Nighters'. So I found a way around it: just go visit other churches 'All Nighters' and go home early. ha ha... That is what I got to do this past Friday night. I went to hang out with some of the students at Middle Creek Christian Church, be a part of their fun, and build relationships with students - oh and whoop their butts at Dutch Blitz and Spoons!

So after finishing some planning up for the Barn I headed over to Middlecreek and got there just in time for the fun. We started off with a awesome game of Dutch Blitz, which I got 2nd place in the first round (which I'm calling my warm up round) and 1st place in the second round. Then we played a crazy Bible Sword Drill, where you had to look up a verse and then find an object on a table that was mentioned in a verse... ex... There was a verse that said something like, "He was the ruler" and low and behold there was a ruler on the table... man who thinks of these things ha ha.

Then we made some home made pizzas and watch Shrek 1. (Over the course of the night they watched all of the Shrek movies). Then when that was over the real fun began. See from the three times I've been at Middlecreek we have always played the card game 'Spoons' and after over 100 rounds I have never gotten a strike. So the kids really wanted to try to dethrone me. Well this time we decided that everyone got 3 strikes cause there were 17 people there, and we began. And would you believe it that I didn't get a strike until I got down to the top 5? ha... Then it came down to the last 4, then 3, and then 2 - of which I was one. And I got to deal... so I dealt like crazy, and won!! The reigning champ! ha

But really it was an amazing night to just hang with kids and build relationships. If all they remember about me is that I took the time to stay up late and play spoons with them at midnight because I love them as Christ loved us, that would be enough! So, yet again God was at work in great ways and I look ahead to future games of Spoons to show his love to them through my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment