Friday, August 19, 2011

The Death of a Mac ... (at least for now)



Yesterday was beautiful, but then tragedy struck. For most of the day things were going well. I met with the new interim principle at Faith Christian; I had lunch with my grandmother while watching the Price is Right, I got more of my mentor group curriculum done, I emailed people, updated this blog, and was feeling super productive. Around 5:30 I got into my car and headed out to pick up a good friend of mine that we might go to the movies. We arrived at Regal a bit early, I purchased my ticket with a free ticket I got back in May, and then we went to terrorize Hobby Lobby till it was time to see the movie. 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' was the movie, and I must say it was one of the best movies of the summer.

When all that was done, I dropped my friend off at their house and headed home. When I got home I thought to myself, "Ok, I'm going to send out one quick email and then go to bed." I sat down at my desk, flipped open the lid to my Macbook Pro, and swiped the mouse pad - which normally brings it back from sleep mode. Nothing. I pressed the power button. Nothing. I checked the battery, it was half charged, so I made sure the computer was off and tried again. Nothing. I spend about an hour trying to solve the problem. Nothing. I was getting really ticked off, so I called up one of my best friends to get my mind off of it. Meanwhile, my dog wanted to play and kept annoying me.

I decided the best option was to sleep on it ( no no ... not literally on the computer silly). When I woke up I went over to the computer, first thing, and tried it. Nothing. I took it in to the office to see if it might work there. The light of the front blinked and it make more noises, but still nothing came on. At this point I would pray over my computer and try it every hour. Finally, I was desperate so I scheduled an appointment at the 'Genius Bar' at the local Apple store at the Lehigh Valley Mall.

After my time at the office, I went home, changed and headed off for my 2:45 appointment. Traffic wasn't too crazy and I got there about 35 mins early, so I walked around for a while and then went into the Apple store (in the midst of better Macs that decided they would work that day). Signing in at the 'Genius Bar' I waited for my turn. When I was up I explained my situation and after waiting a bit more found out that my 'logic board' was probably shot. The cost of fixing it? A flat rate of $310. Not knowing what to do, I took my Macbook and headed home.

The whole ride home I kept thinking about what I should do, and a bit about why it would happen now, as we always tend to do. My car has currently been out of commission for a month, and so this didn't seem like the best time for my computer to go. But as I thought about it more all I could think of was the fact that the things of the world rot, break and make us want to throw them through the window, but the things of God last forever.

Suddenly, I smiled. I knew I had another computer at home to work on while I made the decision of what to do. I knew that not having it would slow me down a bit. I knew that the fact that it was broken would make me remember to look to God, yet again. I'm so used to calamity in my life that it doesn't seem to faze me much any more. Yeah, my Mac is broken, and I keep trying to look for my hot corners on my Dell (which is extremely annoying), but in the end I know that God has so much more planned for my life than a silly Macbook Pro which I'll always want to update and replace anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment