Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Success

So I've been wanting to update this for a long time, but time seems to evade me so easily. The past few weeks have been jammed packed, and I've learned a lot about success. Of this 'success' I would like to take a moment to speak of. I've recently noticed two things about success:

1. We often, as Americans, often tend to base it off of the amount of people who show up.

2. Success can come in many shapes and forms.

Twice in the last half of March we have had events at the Barn. Both of these events were completely different in feel, number, and outcome - and have caused this examination of success.

On March 12th we had our first Silo Youth Cafe' of the Spring. The band showed up, friends of the band showed up, my friends showed up, students came, youth groups brought their youth groups, and by the end of the night we had 41 students and about 60 people there all together. The place was abuzz with conversation and connecting - plus the music was awesome.

On March 24th Invisible Children came to the Barn. Invisible Children showed up, 13 regular Barn students showed up, and 2 new ones. We expected more, and promoted for more, but that is all we got. The movie showed and the kids were all impacted - almost all of them signed up for IC's 25 Event on April 25th. The night ended on a high note.

Both nights were successful, but in the moment they didn't seem like it. Promotion for one event went super well and promotion for the other seemed to flop. I remember going home from the Cafe' excited, and from the Movie Screening bummed. However, as I reexamined this idea of success a smile crept across my face. In the wake of what we have come to define success as I learned that true success comes from an opportunity to reach out, and from just one positive response to that reach. If only one life is impacted and ready to make a difference; if just one story is altered for the kingdom; if just one person is encouraged or strengthened by another, all our efforts are a huge success.

Though numbers may not be what we always want them to be I remember that some of the most impacting times in my life took place with a small attendance. Those 14 students last Thursday have been impacted greater than all 41 from the Cafe' put together. Who are we to measure success by the count and not the shaping of hearts and lives? This Friday we have yet another Cafe' event, and I will do all I can to look at the hearts of these students, reach out and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment