Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Beatniks, Bonfires and Barn-Rentals

Holy Cow! (as I would say if I were a Hindu in India - which I'm not, so I don't know why I'm saying it) this week has been amazing! Every night has been jam packed with action. Let me explain:

Friday Night - Around 6:30 I strapped my Djembe to my back, grabbed my guitar, and packed up my poetry book. Then I arrived at New Covenant World Outreach for the coolest event ever: Beatnik Night. There were only about 7-10 of us there, but it was so cool. The lighting was mellow, the room smelled of coffee and popcorn, and the stage was filled with students who played piano; shared a song; recited a poem; or told us a dream they once had. Then when that person was done we all snapped our fingers - like the old underground beatnik poetry scene - and the next person was up. I also participated, and after playing a few songs I whipped out the Djembe and read poetry while playing it. In that moment I saw a great future for me as a beatnik slam poet, and realized that one day I'll be famous - maybe.

Sunday Night - So one thing I love to do is host events, and Sunday night I did just that. First Baptist of East Stroudsburg brought about 30 students out to hang at the Barn. The results were amazing! Kids had their hands on everything: basketballs, ping pong paddles, bouldering walls, pool sticks, chess pieces, puzzles, coffee... etc... It was so cool to see our equipment being used by kids who had never been there before. I played B-ball with them, and ripped my pants, but its cool I didn't notice till the night was over. After that we (me and 5 students who have been there before) initiated the rest. How you might ask? Well you'll never know unless you are initiated yourself mwahahaha... Then we spend time in prayer and worship, which was my night's highlight, had a lesson - which pastor Doug seemed to hit home real well -, and then sadly had to part ways.

Monday Night - Crazy kids burned things at the Barn! Well actually I let them ... cause it was a bonfire. It started out with only 5 of us, but then grew to about 8. We had a bonfire outside the Barn, and then after a while went inside to play Egyptian Rat, and goof off. (The guys freaked my dog out by playing really loud music). It was so cool, and I got to have some good conversations about books with one of the girls there, as well as just good fellowship with the crazy guys who liked to burn things. haha...

So yeah this week has been awesome! I want more week full of chaos like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment