Friday, April 22, 2011

The Power of His Name

Normally, around this time of year, I do what everyone else does. I open up my Bible and explore the ends of all the gospels; I attend church on Good Friday and Easter Sunday; I try to watch 'The Passion of the Christ' at some point; and I spend a lot of time reflecting on Jesus. However, I've noticed that a lot of the time it becomes more of routine than a journey of reflection. This year, however, I'm watching that change.

Last night at the Barn we decided to explore Passover. No we were not converting our students to Judaism (we can't afford all the yamakas ha), but we explored, rather, how Jesus is a fulfillment of the Passover. We looked at: the foods eaten and their symbolisms; the four cups and purpose of each one; the tradition of the Afikoman; and some of the readings recited during the meal. Then we pour through some passages in Luke 22 and Matthew 26 to see how these are reflections of Jesus. It was really intriguing to see that the passover reflected, clearly, Jesus and what he came to do. As well as to realize that when he spoke of his body (the Afikoman broken to redeem humanity) and of his blood (the third cup that represented Redemption) the disciples were picturing more than a guy with a cup, but rather saw their past and their hope.

Needless to say, this has got me thinking a lot about Jesus and today, I read through Luke 22-23 to reflect a bit on Jesus more. When suddenly I remembered a passage in John 18:4-8 that impacted me just from the memory of it:

"Then Jesus knowing all that would happen to him, came forward and said to them, 'Whom do you seek?' They answered him, 'Jesus of Nazareth.' Jesus said to them, 'I am he.' Judas, who betrayed him, was standing with them. When Jesus said to them, 'I am he,' they drew back and fell to the ground. So he asked them again, 'Whom do you seek?' and they said 'Jesus of Nazareth.' Jesus answered, 'I told you that I am he. So, if you seek me, let these men go.'"

I sat there reading, and thought, "How powerful is His name!" and as I reflected, I thought of the resurrection. Jesus wasn't just some dude, who came here to lead people around in circles and say good things, Jesus was the great 'I AM' in flesh. His name alone held immeasurable power. To think that the mere mention of it would cause buff Roman soldiers to fall face first on the ground. He knew what was going to happen, and he had the power to save himself, but he allowed the wrath of God to be poured onto himself for our sake - even while we were enemies of God.

So I've just been sitting here thinking on all these things. On Jesus as a fulfillment of Passover (as well as so many other things) and Jesus speaking his name with the power to knock men to the ground. Yet, in the midst of it all Jesus: cried blood in the garden cause the wrath of God was about to be poured on him; knew what would happen, but yet let himself be taken; carried a cross that should never have been his; let them nail him to a cross, and stayed there when he had the power to save himself; and died that the wrath of God might be diverted from humanity unto himself.

To think that the great 'I AM' would do this. To think that he would love humanity so much. He humbled Himself and became a man; he humbled himself and healed the blind, lame and mute; he humbled himself and washed his disciples feet; and he humbled himself and died for humanity even when His Name alone had the power to save Him.

... And to think I'm yet to read of the Power that could not be held in the grave.

No comments:

Post a Comment